Are you considering moving your parent to a senior living center, but you are worried about how they will deal with such a big change? Here are a few helpful tips to ease the transition.
- Plan early – Plan ahead to do your research and find a trustworthy senior living center for your parents before the need becomes desperate.
- Establish relationships – Building familiarity can help with any transition. Try visiting the center, visiting with the staff or start with temporary respite care to help begin these new relationships.
- Plan to spend extra time at first – When your parent first moves, seeing your face often can bring comfort. Spend time with them in their new place, go with them as they walk new routes, or call frequently if you can’t be there in person.
- Keep connections with previous community – Finding a senior living center near your community can help keep connections strong. Encourage neighbors and friends of your parent to reach out so they don’t feel forgotten.
- Give it time and expect difficulties – Know that any transition can be hard and there may be moments of doubt. Keep in mind why you made the move and the positive aspects of the new arrangement while you give the difficult parts some time to work out.
- You’re the advocate, we’re the team – Speak up for your parents needs. We’re here to make them feel safe and comfortable and we want to be your partner in providing the best living situation for your loved one. We can make it happen by working together.
At The Almost Home Group, we are here to provide the safe and compassionate home your parent needs during this difficult stage of life. Please come to us to discuss how we can help you.